Stamped concrete is durable and can last for a long, long time when properly cared for. In some instances, it is even more durable than regular, plain concrete surfaces. Cleaning your concrete periodically and keeping it sealed with the right concrete sealers are the key components of any good maintenance program.
Most contractors will apply several coats of protective sealer to stamped concrete during installation to block the penetration of dirt, deicing chemicals, oil and grease stains, and other substances. However, even professionally sealed stamped concrete will require routine maintenance, depending on conditions and foot-traffic it receives. Here are tips for cleaning and treating your stamped concrete to preserve its beauty and extend its life.
Here are some general guidelines for cleaning and maintaining stamped concrete:
- Keep the surface free of debris by using a broom, leaf blower, or rinsing with water.
- Exterior surfaces can be pressure washed or scrubbed with a mild detergent. For interior surfaces, wet mopping or dry dust mopping of the floor is typically the only routine upkeep needed.
- Don’t allow debris to sit for long periods of time on an area of the surface.
- There are a variety of ways to remove stubborn stains such as dirt, tire marks, leaf stains, and grease spots. In these cases, water may not be enough. This is when stronger cleaning chemicals or a power washing and scrubbing may be required. Read more about power washing, using chemicals to clean stains, removing oil on concrete.
- Periodic sealing is the best way to protect your concrete from moisture penetration, staining, freeze-thaw conditions, de-icing chemicals, and abrasion.
- Get on a maintenance plan with us at Blackwater to properly maintain your decorative concrete annually.
At Blackwater Concrete, our goal is to provide personalized service and distinctive ideas, giving each client and project the full value of our collective experience and knowledge. That’s why we’ve developed a maintenance guide for you, our clients, so that your concrete will look as good as new, many years after installation. Download the PDF here!